Hemorrhoids can develop when there's too much pressure on the abdomen. In some instances, like when you're pregnant, this extra weight can’t be avoided. Fortunately, there are some simple steps you can take to help prevent hemorrhoids from making an appearance.
How can you prevent hemorrhoids?
While there's no way to guarantee they won't return, there's a lot you can do to help prevent them.
Get Plenty of Exercise
- Regular light exercise is a great hemorrhoid fighter. And yes, running around after the kids or pushing the stroller around the park counts too!
Use the Bathroom
- It may sound silly, but go to the toilet whenever you need to (preferably without the kids in tow!)
- Save the reading for the sofa. Sitting on the toilet too long with much of your body weight bearing down on your bum is the kind of pressure you want to avoid.
- Avoid straining during bowel movements.
Importance of Fibre
- Eat lots of high-fibre foods to keep things moving as they should. And don't hold back on these – after all, you're eating for two! Bump up your brown rice, whole grain bread, vegetable and fruit intake, and minimize items that bind you up, especially refined and processed foods like cakes and cookies.
- Drink plenty of fluids, especially water and fruit juices. And cut back on the coffee – this can dehydrate you and lead to constipation and straining yourself on the toilet.